Saturday, June 12, 2010

Raspberry Activity

Taking a break from piling soil around my potatoes, I watched the bumble and honey bees working my raspberry patch. Everywhere I looked I could see a half dozen or so bees busily visiting the rather non-descript flowers. Evidently, they made up for in nectar what they lacked in show. At one moment I did see one bee (slimmer than a honey bee... possibly a mason?) carefully grooming itself on a flower. It had the same self contemplative air of a woman brushing her hair while lost in thought.

While these were certainly not my family's bees as I live a distance from where my family's hives are, I did enjoy seeing their enthusiasm, especially on a gloomy overcast day. Also, it got me thinking more of how a raspberry patch near the hives might be a good thing.

Yesterday I noticed the bees working the asparagus. They seemed to have gotten a great deal of orange pollen from those profuse but diminutive flowers.

I plan on assembling frames tonight and visiting the hives tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment