Sunday, June 20, 2010

Father's Day is not a big deal for bees

Showers kept sweeping through the area so I did not open the hives up for an inspection since the hives would be packed with would be foragers and they would no doubt be in a grumpy mood. Instead I restricted my activities to counting returning foragers (13/min for Juno, 9/min for Artemis) and taking a few pictures.

The hives are located inside an old cellar hole. While the East and South walls have fallen away, the North and West are still present and they will hopefully provide shelter during the winter. The following picture shows Juno with the North wall behind it and the top of my parent's barn visible beyond.


The following is a picture of a visitor that I noticed in the fields all morning:


In other news. While up at my parent's, I did stop and talk with a local farmer who is very interested in having some hives located at his property. While I will very likely be unable to start any new hives until next spring, this is a very exciting possibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment