Friday, August 23, 2013

2013-07-05: Quick Check

After the excitement of the swarm two days ago I wanted to check on the hive that had swarmed (Red) and the hive made from the swarm as well as check on the hives at the satellite yard.

Red: I removed a medium super from Red of drawn comb.  There was no honey in it and with after swarming Red would be unlikely to produce a surplus, but I did leave the shallow super it had behind.  I confirmed the presence of Queen cells in the hive.

Swarm: I added 4 undrawn frames to Swarm to make up for the fact that I had not had enough frames before to fill out the brood box properly.  I stuck them in the middle while the proper method would be to one side, but that was where the gap was.  They’ll live.

Purple(Aubergine?)&Sage: I checked quickly on these two hives and they had just a little honey in their supers.

Satellite Yard:

2013-07-05 15.41.52 Tisbert Bee Check

Goldenrod: Bearding.  I added a second super (liberated from Red) as I had noted its super    was almost filled previously.

Hodgepodge: Moved super into the middle.  I figured that would force them to fill it up rather than fill up their brood space with honey and get honeybound.  *I later noted that while the box was a medium, the frames were shallows making a gap in the bottom.  These screw ups are why I have started to also label each frame with the size (S, M, D for shallow, medium and deep respectively) so that I can tell at a glance from the top what the frames are).

I also found a swarm/supercedure cell that now had a flip top lid.  This means the queen had extricated herself and should now me running around the hive.

2013-07-05 15.56.53 Tisbert Bee Check   2013-07-05 16.03.34 Tisbert Bee Check

No comments:

Post a Comment