Monday, October 10, 2011

2011-08-07: Queens to the Rescue!

Retrieved frame with 2 queen cells generously donated by my mentor. I transported them in a styrofoam nuc from BetterBee, waste not want not. I wore the suit while driving back since I worry about alone bee getting in my eye while driving... I can only imagine what I looked like to other drivers.

Here is a picture of the nuc box I used t transport the frame with the queen cells... remember, buckle up for safety.
 



I installed the frame into Juno with some nurse bees that came along for the ride and some bees on a deep frame from Blue, I heard somewhere that bees combine easier if you have bees from three or more hives. And then I dusted the bees with confectionary sugar and some smoke to try to dampen their agression to each other.

Added mesh strips to the top hole of Artemis and Blue hive as well as the entrance to the double nucs. The later seemed to be especially needed as there often seemed to be alot of bees floating about the entrances and making repeated attempts to land. Hopefully the mesh will give them more area to make a landing.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment