Monday, June 10, 2013

2013-05-12: Fixing an Oops

I realized that when I had reversed some of the hives the last time, I had not properly separated the slat bottom board ( a device that gives the bees some space under their frames above the bottom board, supposedly allows them to keep the bottoms of the frames warmer during cool months and feel less crowded) from the bottom of the bottom box.  So it had tagged along for the reversing and ended up in between the two boxes in Sage and Blue.  This visit to the bee yard I fixed that.  The bees had built a little burr come in the slat bottom boards, especially Sage.  Hopefully this had not caused them too much trouble with this huge gap in the middle of their brood space.

Here is how they looked after I was done, I find that having the gap between each pair is useful when I need to place a box to one side while working on the hives:

 2013-05-12 14.04.19 Bee Visit 2013-05-12 14.04.21 Bee Visit 2013-05-12 14.04.24 Bee Visit

I also visited the annex and I was busy shifting the second hive there around to face South and to lay down pieces of cement board under the fence line.  This later material is something that I had gotten off of Craigslist for free several years ago imagining that it would be useful one day.  And it was!  By placing them under the fence line I would help keep grass from growing up and touching the line and shorting it out. 

2013-05-12 15.27.42 Bee Visit

No comments:

Post a Comment