Thursday, August 16, 2012

2012-07-15: Sprucing Up the Swarm

 

This was a very quick visit to the apiary. I mostly there to just pop my head into the double nuc in order to remove the queen cages. Both queens had been released and were busy laying eggs. I found and removed 3 supersedure cells in the green side. These where probably made by the bees when they were moved before they accepted their new queen. By removing them I wanted to make sure there would be no fights when they emerged. In one of these pictures you can see the queen (marked with yellow) making her rounds.
 

 


I did have time to move Swarm from its ghetto deep box into a brand new hive box painted a dark green... so henceforth Swarm will be Dark Green. In addition to the picture of the frames in the process of being moved to the new box, there is also a close up of one of these frames showing a frame of brood with some empty cells. I placed the old brood box, empty of any frames, on top of the new box in order to help the foragers currently out in the fields to of find their way back to their new home.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment