Tuesday, June 19, 2012

2012-06-07: Swarming Around









At around 7PM I recieved a call from my father telling me that he had spotted what looked like a swarm of bees in the pasture.  I arrived around sunset to see a swarm had indeed settled on an old plow.  I set up a spare deep box with drawn comb and a feeder with some sugar syrup.  Then, with most of my family gathered to watch from a not entirely safe distance, I spritzed the swarm to keep them from flying and started to transfer them to the box in the hope that I would successfully get the queen.  At first I was brushing them into grain scoops placed underneath, but after a while I just started to sweep up handfulls of bees in my hands.

They appeared to be somewhat agreeable with their new digs.  But I could not tell as it was dark and they would not likely fly away even if they hated it.




No comments:

Post a Comment