Sunday, September 11, 2011

2011-07-16: Release the Queens!

[30 second counts 6, Juno, 90 Artemis, 40 Blue]

Artemis has many bees making use of the top entrance. This makes me think I should try to use top entrances with the other hives. Certainly it makes sense for foragers to be able to directly access the honey supers.
 

I was going to remove the drone frames from Blue but I observed that the bees have started to fill up the cells with honey so left them.

 


Opened up the double nucs to release the queens. The sugar in the cages had already been eaten away and the queens had been released. Each cage had a small piece of comb built off of it which I recall was an indicator of acceptance. The fact that the Artemis was likely queenless at the time I removed the bees meant that they would have been very eager to accept any queen at that time.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment