Wednesday, February 23, 2011

2011-02-20: Beekeeping by Snowshoe

I visited the hive on Sunday in order to try to gauge how they are doing as we approach the critical period of time in late winter and early spring when many hives run out of food or succumb to disease. The weather had gotten into the 60's the previous Friday and I was hoping I would see yellow spots on the snow indicative of cleansing flights. The few inches of snow that had fallen since obscured any evidence. I noticed a few spots on the new snow... it was worryingly brown. I did try to hear what was going on inside the hive but it was hard to make out... though I think a bee took off while I was adhered to the side of the hive.

I did have my picture taken next to the hive, snowshoes and all.
 


I hope to be able to open the hive next month. I need to make some fondant to feed to them when I do so. Also, I have decided to order one more package or nuc of bees to install in a top bar hive that I am building. I hope to have some pictures of that someday soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment