Friday, September 10, 2010

All the President's Bees

While in DC last week, my wife and I were walking on the Mall. At one point I stopped to look at one flowering tree that had many insect pollinators on it. I wondered if the very large bumble bees were either drones or queens which should be out and about by this time. Also, I noticed many honey bees and it occurred to me to wonder if they were feral or if somebody nearby had a hive in the middle of DC. After a while we walked onto the next museum and I more or less forgot about the bees.

Today I was listening to a bee related podcast (the Barefoot Beekeeper in case you are curious). The host was interviewing a guest who told a story of how she had a meeting with the White House beekeeper.

Soooo..... perhaps if I had collected some of those bees and done bee lining to follow them home, they would have led me to a certain residence! Makes me ponder on a variant of '6 Degrees of Kevin Bacon' involving bees instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment